John Tuck School was named after the second teacher to ever teach in Redmond. In 1906, John Tuck taught 42 students in all grades in the Old Oregon Hotel. Mr. Tuck eventually became the grade school superintendent, retiring in 1940 at the age of 77. He passed away at the age of 81 in 1944.
John Tuck School (the name still on the front of the building) opened in 1948 as a junior high school for sixth through eighth-graders. In 1949, a gymnasium was completed. From 1971 – 1989 only fifth and sixth graders attended John Tuck. In the 1989-90 school year, John Tuck became an elementary school for first through sixth graders. Kindergarten was added in 1991. In 1995 sixth graders were moved to the middle school level, and John Tuck Elementary School became a K-5 school. In 1993, a new library and computer lab were added to the building.
Visitors to John Tuck Elementary often comment on what a warm feeling they get when they enter the school. The wide hallways, the abundant natural light flooding into the building and the brick façade certainly contribute to that feeling, but what truly makes John Tuck a special place to be are the students and staff.